TTMA IN THE NEWS
TTMA opens new pathways to international markets
The Tobago Manufacturers Association has announced its first-ever “Trade Mission on the Seas”, an initiative led by its chief executive Dr Mahindra Ramdeen. The mission is taking place from March 23 to April 1, “marking a transformative approach in overcoming traditional logistical challenges and opening new pathways to international markets”, the TTMA said in a media release yesterday. This trade mission departs from conventional methods by offering a dynamic, cruise-based platform, it stated. It will transport a delegation of 39 people representing 25 companies—including Christle Ltd, Gem Printery Ltd, Blue Waters Products Ltd, Creamery Novelties Ltd, Fresh Start Ltd and Mecalfab Ltd—on a strategic journey across key markets...read more
NEWS
Former chief magistrate wins 8-year legal battle: Victory for Marcia
Former chief magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar has won her almost eight-year-long legal battle between herself and the Judicial and Legal Service Commission (JLSC) headed by Chief Justice Ivor Archie. She has successfully convinced the Privy Council that she was unduly pressured by CJ Archie into tendering her resignation as a High Court judge in 2017. Since July of that year, Ayers-Caesar had been legally battling what she said was Archie’s heavy-handed approach by threatening to have disciplinary proceedings instituted against her if she refused to tender the resignation and return to the magistracy...read more
Gonzales stays silent on 23 police-involved killings
National Security Minister Marvin Gonzales chose not to speak on the high levels of police-involved shooting deaths on civilians this year. As of March 21, 23 people had been killed by police – nine more than the comparative period for 2024. "I won’t be commenting on that now, unless I have all of the information that is before me. So, I will be withholding public comments on this particular issue," Gonzales said when contacted by Newsday. Speaking on March 24, Gonzales also discussed his first days as the security minister, having been moved from the public utilities ministry by Prime Minister Stuart Young. He described that ministry as “quite a lot,” saying it is a high-pressure ministry...read more
SWRHA launches probe after video shows mom ‘holding baby in a bag’
The South-West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) is raising concern over a brief video recording in circulation on social media, which portrays a “valued client” at one of its in-patient care facilities. In the video, a woman is seen holding what appears to be a premature baby in what looks like a bag. The person recording is heard asking the newborn’s mother whether doctors had told her that they could not do anything to help the baby. She then called on them to get a doctor. It is unclear which hospital the situation unfolded at. However, in a statement last evening, the SWRHA said the video was recorded and shared by a close relative of the client, in contravention of the Patients’ Charter of Rights and Obligation and Right to Privacy...read more
POLITICS
UNC skips EBC dry run...Party yet to pick all its candidates
WHILE the PNM candidates will be taking part in today’s preliminary examination by the Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC), the UNC’s candidates will not be presenting themselves. The examination of nomination papers takes place at the offices of the respective returning officers. The preliminary examination is, however, not mandatory. The EBC will hold its preliminary examination—or what is better known as a dry run—for candidates in the 2025 general election between 9 a.m. and noon today. Candidates will be able to check their documents to make sure that everything is in order for nomination day, April 4—which is the day that prospective candidates file their nomination papers with the respective returning officers and their candidacy is confirmed. Nomination Day is the last day for filing or withdrawing a candidacy...read more
Farley declares political war against PNM, addresses Sandals project
Farley Augustine, political leader of the Tobago People’s Party (TPP), on Sunday launched a political attack against the Peoples national Movement (PNM) and other political parties in the country. Speaking at the TPP's convention and presentation of candidates at Rovanel's Resort, Augustine also addressed the controversial Sandals project in Tobago, which has become a focal point in the political battle...read more
LEONCE: NO ‘GANG’ TIES...Minister hits back at UNC claims
HOUSING Minister Adrian Leonce has categorically denied any corrupt practices or “gang” affiliation and is seeking legal advice, following claims by an Opposition member that he had business with criminal elements now located in the United Kingdom. Leonce, the former Laventille East/Morvant MP, defended his integrity in a statement yesterday, where he referred to a social media post by an “Opposition politician” and advised that he has contacted his attorneys. The minister said yesterday that he had severed ties with a company registered in 2023, in conjunction with a UK resident whom he met through a mutual friend, after learning that the individual was the subject of a police investigation...read more
Kamla scoffs at ‘Efficiency’ plans: Shameless Stuart
THE establishment of a Ministry of Implementation and Efficiency by a Stuart Young-led cabinet would not revitalise the energy sector nor resolve the endless problems citizens face on a daily basis, says United National Congress (UNC) political leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar. And, she said, for the ten years the People’s National Movement (PNM) had been in government her UNC political party had been coming up with policies and programmes to improve lives and livelihood. This is why the UNC should be given a chance in the April 28 general election, shed said. Persad-Bissessar was speaking at the UNC general election launch at Naparima College auditorium in San Fernando last night, where she addressed a large gathering of former Members of Parliament, candidates and supporters...read more
Dividend suspension will help company achieve ‘2X’ strategy
Chief executive officer of the ANSA McAL group Anthony N Sabga III says the suspension of dividend payments will help the company achieve its “2X” strategy. The suspension started this year and is expected to end in the next three years according to the company’s financial statements posted on March 21. At the ANSA McAL boardroom, Tatil building, Port of Spain where the company’s 2024 year-end financial results were released, Sabga said the “2X” strategy which was announced in 2023 calls for capital reallocation leading to the suspension...read more
All eyes on forex regime
The eyes of many businesspeople and ordinary citizens will be focussed on Whitehall today as the Government meets with members of the banking sector to pave the way forward in tackling this country's continued forex crisis. Speaking at his first post-Cabinet news conference at Whitehall, Port-of-Spain last Thursday Young shared details about this plan. "Next week Tuesday (tomorrow), at 2:30pm, I have invited the Central Bank and the Banker’s Association of Trinidad and Tobago (BATT), and I’m hoping all the chief executive officers of the banks that operate in Trinidad and Tobago to meet with myself and the Minister of Finance, Senator Vishnu Dhanpaul, right here at Whitehall because I intend to address immediately, the issue of foreign exchange and allocation of forex.” Young, who continues to holds the portfolio of Energy Minister, admitted that T&T does not now earn the amount of foreign exchange that used to flow into the country's coffers...read more
REGIONAL
Search continues for three people after fire at restaurant in Guyana
Police say one person was rescued and the search is continuing for three others, after a fire swept through a Chinese restaurant on the West Coast Demerara, in Guyana during the early hours of Tuesday. “A search is ongoing for three other individuals who were reportedly inside the structure at the time of the fire,” police said, adding that the fire began at 3.07 am (local time)...read more
Guyana: Young lawyer, 27 dies in motorcycle crash
Police in Guyana are investigating the fatal death of a 27-year-old lawyer from South Georgetown, Akil Johnson, who died following a motorcycle crash on Sheriff Street early Sunday morning. According to a police press release, the accident involved a car driven by 34-year-old Viola Mittelholzer, currently in police custody. A breathalyzer test on Mittelholzer showed readings of 0.16 and 0.10 micrograms of alcohol in her breath. The legal limit for driving under the influence of alcohol in Guyana is 0.05 grams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood (BAC) for all drivers, and 0.02 grams per 100 milliliters for professional drivers...read more
INTERNATIONAL
Blatter, Platini acquitted again at second trial of financial wrongdoing at FIFA
Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini won again in court Tuesday and now lead 2-0 in trial verdicts against Swiss federal prosecutors. Once soccer’s most powerful men, former FIFA president Blatter and former UEFA president Platini were acquitted for a second time in a case now in its 10th year on charges of fraud, forgery, mismanagement and misappropriation of more than $2 million of FIFA money in 2011. Blatter, now aged 89, gave little reaction listening to the verdict of three cantonal (state) judges acting as a federal criminal appeals court. Sitting in the row in front of Platini, Blatter alternately tapped his fingers on his desk or held his left hand over his mouth...read more
Five takeaways from leaked US top military chat group
Washington DC is still digesting an apparent security breach at the heart of the Trump administration. It's the story of how a journalist - the Atlantic magazine's Jeffrey Goldberg - was added to a Signal platform messaging group which apparently included Vice-President JD Vance and Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, in addition to National Security Adviser Mike Waltz. The topic being discussed was attacking the Iran-backed Houthi group in Yemen. Goldberg said he had seen classified military plans for the strikes, including weapons packages, targets and timing, two hours before the bombs struck...read more
25th March 2025