Daily Brief - Friday 25th May, 2018

NEWS

Man in court today for shooting bank teller

A 32-year-old Fyzabad man is expected to be taken before a San Fernando magistrate today in connection with the shooting of Scotiabank worker, 28-year-old Rostan Mahabir, almost two weeks ago. The man was arrested last week Friday at his Fyzabad home. The arrest came after police viewed CCTV footage from different cameras on High Street and Penitence Street in San Fernando. Read more here

Honest Leon wants to become a cop

Amputee Virginia Reyes yesterday expressed pride over her grandson Leon’s act of honesty. She said she expected nothing less than him returning the wallet he found to its owner untouched, with all the money, cards and other important documents intact.“I grew up my seven children to not to take what is not theirs and I transferred that teaching to my grandchildren. I always told them if you sweeping and you see money, sweep around it and if you see something and it is not yours leave it alone, it is not yours,” an emotional Reyes, 59, said as she sat on her wheelchair at her Maloney home yesterday.Several years ago, Reyes herself was in a similar position after finding a wallet lying on the ground at the nearby Building 18. She took it up, searched through it, found a contact number and called it. The number was for the wallet owner’s mother, who lived in Tobago at the time. Read more here

Let the court decide, says Sat

Secretary GeneraL of the Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha (SDMS) Satnarayan Maharaj says the Government has done the “correct” thing to take the hijab issue to the courts. He said the SDMS is ready to battle in the court and has a team of six attorneys led by a senior counsel. Read more here

 

POLITICS

National food policy coming

A National food and nutrition policy is coming, Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh revealed on Wednesday after a diabetic retinopathy screening service ceremony at the San Fernando Teaching Hospital. Saying the policy is in its final stages, Deyalsingh said it is not just aimed at getting patients to take better care of themselves but will also encourage food and drink manufacturers “to take some responsibility” for the content of their products. Read more here

High Court to resolve hijab ban

Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi will seek High Court’s interpretation of the issue concerning the on the job trainee teacher who was recently asked by Lakshmi Girls’ Hindu College administration to remove her hijab before starting her assignment. Education Minister Anthony Garcia confirmed the move at yesterday’s post-Cabinet media briefing. He said reports from the principal of the school and Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha (SDMS) have been sought on the matter. These will be turned over to the AG who will seek a court ruling on it. Read more here

 

BUSINESS

Protecting the brand

Intellectual Property (IP) and technology-related industries are the future of economic diversification in TT, says Regan Asgarali, Controller of the Intellectual Property Office of TT (TTIPO). "We've contributed more than $48.4 million over the last ten years or so to the economy from the payment of patent annuities and trademarks filings. Plus, there are IP-related services that could bring in foreign exchange." Read more here

ANSA McAL achieves highest revenue in history of company

The ANSA McAL Group recorded a four per cent increase in revenue, up from from $6.001 billion in 2016 to $6.244 billion for the 2017 financial year. However, profit before tax was $986 million—less than the $1.107 billion achieved in 2016, while earnings per share (EPS) was $3.15 cents, down from $4.01 cents in 2016. A dividend of $1.50 was paid. Group CEO Andrew Sabga announced these highlights of the comglomerate’s 2017 results at ANSA McAL’s 89th Annual General Meeting yesterday at the Radisson Hotel in Port-of-Spain. Read more here

Ten Chinese factories in new industrial park

Ten Chinese companies will establish factories at the new TT$728 million industrial park to be constructed at Point Lisas, acting Prime Minister Colm Imbert said yesterday. Read more here

 

REGIONAL

Murder Breakthrough - Police Sources Say UK Returning Resident Killed In St Mary Over Botched Paint Job

Police investigators believe that an altercation over a botched paint job was what led to the deadly attack on an elderly returning resident in St Mary last month. The St Mary police have now arrested and charged two men who they believe stabbed Delroy Walker, 63, multiple times in the upper body inside the dream home he purchased nine months ago in Rio Nuevo Resort, Tower Isle. Dwayne Barton, 25, and Davian Edwards, 26, both unemployed of Stewart Town, have been charged with murder and are expected to appear in court next week. Both men have given statements about their roles in the killing, sources have revealed. Read more here

 

INTERNATIONAL

White House: North Korea 'stood us up'

Beyond the insults and brinksmanship that contributed to the cancellation of the historic meeting between President Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un was the seeming reluctance from North Korea to actually proceed with plans for the summit, which had been destined to take place in Singapore on June 12. A senior White House official said late Thursday that during Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's second trip to Pyongyang, the regime promised to send delegates to Singapore to work with American counterparts on logistics for the meeting. Last week, the White House sent its deputy chief of staff and his advance team to the city state, the official said. "The North Koreans never showed up. The North Koreans didn't tell us anything. They simply stood us up." Read more here

Harvey Weinstein surrenders to New York police 'to face sex misconduct charges'

Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein has turned himself in to police in New York, where he is expected to face sexual misconduct charges. The charges have not been announced but US media say some may relate to accusations by actress Lucia Evans. Dozens of women have made allegations, including of rape and sexual assault, against the 66 year old. Mr Weinstein has always denied non-consensual sex and this would be the first time he has been charged. Read more here

25th May 2018

Back

Copyright © . Trinidad and Tobago Manufactures Association All Rights Reserved.